Mens 1st Team Match Report

Penguin 1st XI VS Eastbourne 2nd XI 14/01/2017 5-2

On Saturday, Penguins resumed their league matches against Eastbourne Hockey Club. Penguins were eager to maintain their good run of form which meant they ended the first half of the season in joint second place, just one point behind the leaders.

However, it was Eastbourne who started the brighter of the two teams and within the first ten minutes Penguins found themselves a goal behind. Eastbourne capitalised upon a poor defensive clearance, slotting the ball home from a tight angle. It wasn’t long until Penguins responded with a goal of their own. It was Jon Miles who scored a powerful reverse strike to open his tally for Penguin 1s on his return to the team. As Eastbourne pushed to establish a lead before half-time, gaps appeared. Penguins took key chances and both Steven Lockwood and, division top scorer, Dave Matthews scored in quick succession to open up a 3-1 gap as the half-time whistle blew.

Penguins went from strength to strength in the second half and Matthews scored his second of the game. This time converting a short corner with pin-point accuracy. With only a few minutes of the game remaining, Eastbourne scored but it proved just a consolation as any chance of a fight back died just 30 seconds later as Penguins scored again this time Lockwood tapped in from 2 yards out.

Overall, it was a positive start to the year for Penguins. They face St Francis Hockey Club away next Saturday and will be hoping for more of the same from the squad.

Penguin 1st XI VS Mid Sussex 2nd XI 10/9/16

Penguin 1st XI took on Mid Sussex 2nd XI on a wet and windy day. The newly promoted Mid Sussex visited Penguins at their home pitch at Angmering school. The home team started off the stronger with an early play of sharp passing leading to captain Steven Lockwood scoring. Penguins looked the stronger of the two teams for much of the first half of the game resulting in them leading going into the second. Mid way into the second half a lifted ball caused a game ending injury for Penguins player coach Robin Melvin. With a makeshift formation Penguin held onto the win finishing the game with a 5-2 win. Scorers for Penguins were Steven Lockwood x3, Rupert Ireland and David Mathews.


Mens 2nd Team Match Reports


Crowborough Mens 3s v Penguin Mens 2s
8th October at Horntye Park

Due to player shortages, Penguin made the long journey to Hastings with only 10 men including Chris Wilson as an emergency goalkeeper to face a South Saxons side riding high after winning both their opening games.

Given the circumstances, Penguin gave a good account of themselves, defending solidly and taking the fight to the opposition and creating an equal share of the goal-scoring chances. Penguin took the lead when Liam Jordan made a great run up the left and delivered a cross which Henry Mules collected and guided the ball into the goal underneath the opposing keeper. At the other end, as the half progressed Saxons increasingly exploited their numerical superiority and burst clear down the middle, only to find an inspired Chris Wilson blocking their path and who pulled off a string of outstanding saves. Saxons had to work hard to find an equaliser and it came with a clever lob from the edge of the D. Saxons eventually took the lead against a tiring Penguins with a well-worked team goal and the first-hand ended 2-1.

Saxons came out firing on all cylinders after the interval and capitalised on a Penguin defensive error to score almost immediately. A fourth goal came when Saxons attacked down the right and put in a decent cross for their striker to skip round the keeper and tap the ball in from a narrow angle. At that point Penguin were boosted by the arrival of their emergency 11th player, Stephan Wilkinson, who made an immediate impact with some accurate passing which dissected the Saxons midfield and afforded Penguin the chance to attack down both wings. In fact for much of the final 20 minutes it was Penguin who enjoyed the lion's share of possession and put the Saxons goal under real pressure, Marcus Brunton being the main goal threat with several sweet strikes on target.

In the end the scoreline remained a still very respectable 4-1 and Penguin walked off the pitch with their heads high having done themselves proud.

Man of the match: Chris Wilson

Team: C Wilson; C Thornton, D Scott, D Sutton; T Edwards, A Audus, L Jordan; N Watkins; H Miles, M Brunton, S Wilkinson

St Francis Mens 2s v Penguin Mens 2s

result: 3 - 0

Penguin Mens 2s kicked off their league season with a trip to Burgess Hill where they encountered a well-organised St Francis, who immediately took control of the first half and scored inside 5 minutes from one of their  many penalty corners.

After struggling to clear the ball from their own quarter of the pitch, never mind their own half, for the the first 15-20 minutes, Penguin weathered the storm without conceding further goals and began to settle down. Neil Watkins distributed the ballwell from central midfield and Tim James and Tom Edwards held the ball up cleverly on the left side of midfield. Unfortunately, the opposition scored again lon the stroke of half-time following a well-worked team goal.

Penguin put up much stiffer resistance in the second half, and the game opened up with some end-to-end hockey. Neil Watkins continued to be a threat for Penguin going forward, but the final ball was lacking. Anton Audus came closest to scoring for Penguin, but his shot hit the side of the goal-frame. At the other end, Penguin kept their shape and defended well, but the opposition went 3-0 up when a tame shot went under the keeper's feet. However Byron Reilly, the keeper, made amends shortly after with a double save to deny them a fourth goal.

Overall, St Francis played the better hockey and we're deserving winners. Penguin should take heart from an improved performance after their 13-0 drubbing two weeks ago and now need to concentrate on their fitness.

Penguin: B Reilly; C Wilson, D Scott, E Millard; A Audus, C Thornton, N Watkins, N Carter, T Edwards; H Mules, A Vincent. sub: T James



Penguin Mens 2s v Crowborough Mens 3s

At Angmering, Saturday 1st October

Result: 3 -1

 Penguin continued their improvement from last week with a well-deserved win against newly promoted Crowborough 3s.

Penguin seemed to have learned their lessons from the previous games and from an intensive mid-week training session and were literally on the ball right from the first whistle. Penguin controlled much of the first half and passed the ball around well and showed good movement off the ball. The opening goal came unexpectedly when Andrew Vincent managed to get the last touch on a loose ball in the D for a tap-in past the Crowborough keeper. Andrew later had a decent strike from a penalty corner saved, but the rebound off the keeper’s pads fell to Henry Mules to coolly sweep the ball home for the 2nd goal. Marcus Brunton was unable to add a 3rd before half-time when he had only the keeper to beat, but his shot from the edge of the D went wide.  A few defensive lapses then almost allowed Crowborough to score themselves, but somehow one effort went just wide and another was saved on the goal-line by a diving Nick Carter.

The second-half ran along similar lines to the first, and Penguin continued to play fluent passing hockey and developed some good attacking play. Penguin’s 3rd goal was their best, coming from a break deep inside their own half and following a beautiful cross-field pass which eventually found Gavin Best steaming down the right wing who delivered a cross for Anton Audus to tuck the ball away. From there on the victory seemed assured, although Crowborough did pull a goal back midway through the second half from a well-worked penalty-corner routine. Penguin then braved a torrential downpour to see the game out, although Andrew Vincent failed to convert a penalty stroke in the latter stages which would have given Penguin their best result since October 2015. As it was, hands were shaken with the final score 3-1.

Penguin: B Reilly (g/k); C Wilson, D Scott (c), E Millard; G Best, N Carter, P Nicholls, A Audus, T James; A Vincent, H Mules. Subs: C Thornton, A Tennent, M Brunton

Man of the match: Ethan Millard.


Current Team League Positions etc

Click Below to access the Sussex Hockey Association Web Site